Pecan German Chocolate Cake
As seen on Dessert Duels
Recipe By Chef Leigh Omilinsky
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
Note: Boxed cake mix or pre-made cake will also work.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 4 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate Cake Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 11" by 13" baking sheet.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Make sure to scrape the bowl between each addition.
- Meanwhile, sift the dry ingredients.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Mix to combine, scrape the bowl.
- Add the buttermilk. Mix to combine. Scrape the bowl. Add the remaining dry ingredients, mix and scrape.
- Pour onto prepared baking pan and bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
- Let cool and cut out into smaller circles. Set aside covered so it does not dry out.
Mascarpone Coffee Cream Ingredients
- 8 oz. cream
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp coffee extract (or to your liking)
Mascarpone Coffee Cream Instructions
Place all ingredients in a stand mixer and whip until medium peaks.
Pecan Filling Ingredients
- 1 EDWARDS® Signatures Georgia Pecan Pie filling (scooped out)
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 Tbsp good quality rum, such as Plantation
Pecan Filling Instructions
Combine all the ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth, but still with some big pieces of nuts.
How to Assemble
- Take one circle of the cut-out cake. Using a pastry bag, pipe a ring of the coffee cream around the cake circle.
- Fill with the pecan pie filling. Place another circle of cake on top and repeat until there are three layers of cake.
- Garnish as desired.